You can now meet an adoptable pet at ARL Main by getting in line virtually during business hours. You will be able to get wait-time updates, manage your spot in line and get notified when it's your turn.
How to put yourself in the virtual line:
To reduce the amount of time you spend at ARL Main before being able to visit with our pets, add yourself to our virtual line by clicking the button at the bottom of this page.
- The line for each day opens 15 minutes before we open our doors to the public (so 11:45 weekdays and 9:45 weekends).
- After submitting the secure online form, you’ll receive confirmation of your check-in and a text message about your upcoming visit.
- All communication with our virtual line is through text message, so be sure to watch your phone closely for alerts while you’re waiting. All wait times are estimates and may vary.
Once you arrive for your visit:
- You will be paired with an adoption counselor at ARL Main
- You can meet with 3-4 adoptable dogs, cats or small animals
- If you decide to adopt, you can complete your adoption with your counselor
- Be sure to pick up supplies and spoil your pet at our Animal House store
These visits do not apply to:
- Barn animals, barn cats, horses, cats in our Shelter Cat Getaway foster program, and dogs that are “adopt by request.” If you would like to meet any of these pets, use the contact info in the pet’s profile to set up a time to meet them. Please do NOT use this virtual system.
- Pets at our ARL West and Ankeny PetSmart locations (walk-ins are available at those sites).
- Please note that pets cannot be reserved or placed on hold for your visit.
Ready to meet an adoptable pet at ARL Main?
• Bring a valid ID and proof of current address
• Please bring a face mask — they are required at all ARL locations
• You must have access to a mobile phone to receive text updates
Add me to the Line