Due to the impact of COVID-19, all adoption-related visits to ARL Main require an appointment.
(**Please note that appointments are only to visit pets at ARL Main. Visits to ARL West and Ankeny PetSmart do NOT require an appointment. If you are interested in a specific pet, please check the pet's location in our pet listings to make sure you need an appointment before booking.)
New Safety Measures During Your Visit
We are now requesting that all visitors also follow CDC guidelines to wear non-medical face covers, since maintaining full social distancing in our process is not always possible.
Appointments to meet a pet in-person will be limited to 2 people from the same household per appointment. This change will help further reduce person-to-person exposure through minimized contact.
Because we understand that selecting a new pet is a family decision, we encourage our visitors to video chat with their family/household to make the decision to adopt (from their own device).
Know Before Booking
- By booking an appointment, you secure a set time with an adoption counselor to view adoptable pets and meet with them to ensure they are a good fit for your family!
- Please expect your visit to last approximately 40 minutes.
- Pets are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To see a current list of available pets and where they are located, visit our Find a Pet page.
- To see our locations and hours, visit our Locations & Hours page.
- To learn more about the adoption process, visit our Adoption Process page.
Barn Cats, Horses, and Other Animals
If you are interested in (1) barn cats, (2) horses and other barn pets, (3) cats in our Shelter Cat Getaway foster program, or (4) dogs who are "adopt by request," please reach out via the contact info in their bios to set up a time to meet them.