The Humane Education Department will begin accepting applications for the next session of Litter-ary Club on December 4. Applications are due on or before December 22. Chosen applicants will be contacted by January 5.
Litter-ary club is a program for students ages 10-16. The goal is to provide soothing company to dogs, cats, and critters as they await adoption by reading aloud outside of their kennels.
Participants must first complete an orientation session where they’ll learn about the Animal Rescue League and safety procedures to follow while participating in Litter-ary Club. After orientation, reading sessions will be scheduled once a week (Monday afternoons/evenings) for six weeks. Reading sessions will take place outside of the kennels of adoptable pets.
The cost of the Litter-ary Club orientation is $20 which will cover the cost of a T-shirt that must be worn for every session you participate in. Each hour-long reading session is free of charge following orientation. Registration covers the cost for one reader and one parent or guardian. The parent or guardian is expected to be present with their child for the entirety of each reading session. We are unable to accommodate unregistered siblings at orientation or reading sessions.
Only 10 students will be chosen to participate in this first session.
The next orientation will be on Monday, January 22nd from 4:30p-5:30p (Only selected candidates may attend orientation)
If you would like to participate in our Litter-ary Club, please email Rose Hebron at firstname.lastname@example.org
For full consideration, emails must be received on or before December 22, 2017.
Please include the following in your email for full consideration for participation:
- Your name (parent/guardian)
- Email address
- Phone number
- Child's name that will be participating (one-two children per parent/guardian- if an adult is bringing two children, the adult must be the parent/guardian of both children)
- Child's age and current grade level (must be at least 10 years of age and not exceed 16 years of age)
- Child's t-shirt size (please differentiate between youth and adult sizes)
- One paragraph describing why you believe this program would be beneficial for the child you wish to participate in (can be included in email body or as an attached document).
Note about Peanut Allergies: For those with peanut allergies, peanut butter and other peanut products are present throughout the premises.