Choose to change the world for homeless pets.
Volunteer at the ARL!
There are few things as rewarding as helping a homeless animal find a new home. When you volunteer at the Animal Rescue League of Iowa, you make a difference for homeless animals AND the people choosing to adopt them. Your time matters whether you lift their spirits with a walk or sell tickets to the annual fundraising auction.
You will find that volunteering for the animals is fun and rewarding. It's a great way to impact the lives of thousands of dogs, cats, horses, and small animals. The most important skills you need to be a volunteer are love and respect for animals.
ARL Volunteers are committed to furthering our mission to promote animal welfare, strengthen the human-animal bond, and prevent the overpopulation of pets.
- Be at least 10 years old. A volunteer younger than 16 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian volunteer who is at least 18 years of age at all times. The adult volunteer also needs to have completed orientation and any subsequent training with their minor partner.
- Be able to commit to at least 12 hours of volunteering. In-shelter opportunities require at least two hours of volunteerism a month.
- Understand and fulfill all responsibilities of their role independently
- Read and comprehend Volunteer Handbook as well as understand and comprehend ARL operational rules and policies to insure their own safety and the safety of the animals in our care.
- Understand and follow Animal Handling Agreement, Confidentiality Agreement and Code of Conduct
- Be able to emotionally manage a workplace that can be stressful with a positive attitude.
- Understand and accept the Animal Rescue League’s philosophies regarding open admissions and humane euthanasia. Please note that the ARL of Iowa only euthanizes for extreme medical or behavioral reasons.
REQUIREMENTS FOR WORKING HANDS-ON WITH THE ANIMALS:
- Be physically be able to enter and exit the kennels in a safe manner
- Be able to hear, see and interpret animal behavior and body language
Most volunteer opportunities are available during open hours:
Monday through Friday 7:00am to 8:00pm
Saturday and Sunday 7:00am to 7:00pm
| || || |
Unable to meet the requirements? You can still help!