Looking for a pet? Download the ARL's app to receive notifications when a pet comes available that fits your critera!
This app can be found in the Google Play and iTunes App stores. With this system, in addition to dog breed, you can also receive notifications by other species, pet age, and pet gender!
Follow the instructions below to download and set notifications to find your next pet!
- Go to Google Play or iTunes App store and search for “Animal Rescue League of Iowa”.
- Install the app.
- Once installed, open the app and click “Notify Me” in the orange button.
- Click the plus sign in the top right corner to add a notification.
- Choose your pet preferences by selecting species, breed, gender, age – and any combination of those.
- Click save in the bottom right corner.
- Repeat starting at step 4 to add more notifications.
Make sure your notifications are turned on for the ARL app in your phone settings. When a pet matches your specifications, you’ll receive a notice that will take you directly to the pet’s information. You may also search for pets on the app (and online), and the adoptable animals are updated every half hour.
The animals you receive a notification for often will only have age, breed, and gender. Photo and bio will follow, but if you’re really interested based on the basic information, we encourage you to go to the ARL location where the animal is located or you may miss out. Photos and bios are updated within 48 hours of a pet becoming available for adoption.
When it comes to dog breeds, the ARL's shelter software requires that we choose a primary breed for our dogs. Visual breed identification in dogs is unreliable, so for most dogs we are only guessing at primary breed. We get to know each dog as an individual and do our best to describe each of our dogs based on personality, not breed label.