I found a pet

I found a pet

Call the agency for your area and ask for assistance

City of Des Moines and Polk County

Polk County Dispatch: (515) 286-3333
Des Moines Animal Services Dispatch: (515) 283-4811

Everywhere Else

Please call your local non-emergency police line or the city's animal services and inform them of the situation.

Can you safely contain the animal?

Step 1: Check for an ID tag on the animal

If there is no tag, the animal might still have a microchip. Take the animal to a local veterinarian or animal shelter to be scanned for a chip. Contact the owner if the information is found.

Step 2: If there is no ID or microchip, begin searching lost pet posts

Check the lost pet posts on Petco Love LostIowaPetAlert.com,  NextDoor.com.

Step 3: Call your local lost pet facility for next steps

It is very likely the pet you found lives nearby. Your local lost pet facility can advise you of the best course of action depending on the individual situation. If you are unable to discuss next steps and must bring the pet in immediately, here is where to take them.

If found within the city of Des Moines, call

ARL Animal Services
1615 SE 14th Street, Des Moines, IA 50320
Hours: Mon-Sat, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
24-Hour Dispatch: (515) 283-4811
Office: (515) 284-6905

ARL Main — Pet Help Center
5452 NE 22nd Street, Des Moines, IA 50313
(Located on the North side of building)
Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:30 a.m. - 7 p.m. Sat-Sun, 9:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Phone: (515) 262-9503

If found outside of Des Moines or Polk County, call (515) 473-9102 to find out if you are in an area serviced by ARL.

Next Steps: Post a notice online or make fliers

If possible, take a photo of the pet and post fliers around the area where the pet was found. Be sure to also distribute the fliers to local veterinary clinics. You should also make posts online on Petco Love LostIowaPetAlert.comNextDoor.com, and on social media sites. If you have a Facebook account, search to see if your community has a Lost and Found group on Facebook to post in.