Welcome! We are so happy you are considering volunteering at the ARL. The animals and the staff will appreciate the time and energy you are willing to give us!
The first step to becoming an ARL volunteer is to attend a volunteer orientation. At orientation, you will learn more about the ARL, its programs, and what you can do to help. Before you attend orientation, you will need to:
- Register for Orientation. Click here to see our event calendar to find a date that works for you. Register from the event page and fill out your information so we know you are coming!
- Fill out a Volunteer Application. Everyone who wants to volunteer needs to complete an application. If you are a family or group, each individual member needs an application. Fill out volunteer application >
- Arrive early. Make sure you have time to park and sign in before orientation is set to start. If you are late, we will ask you to reschedule your orientation.
- If you are under 18. Make sure your parents or legal guardians have signed a liability waiver. Without a signed waiver, you will not be able to volunteer.
- Bring cash, check or credit card to pay your volunteer fee. There is a one-time, $20 new-volunteer fee that includes a volunteer T-shirt, wristbands, and any additional supplies. Each additional volunteer at the same address is just $10 per person.
- Come to the correct location. Orientations are held at ARL Main in Mapes Auditorium, located on the north side of the shelter at 5452 NE 22nd St. in Des Moines.
A note for those seeking to complete service hours for school, religious programs, etc.: Because of the orientation and training process, we are unable to register volunteers wishing to commit fewer than 12 hours of service. For one-time or group opportunities, please click here.